Tuesday 26 June 2007

INKPOT'S BOOK PLEDGE - 41 - 45

Here are the latest reviews from Inkpot:

41. MARLEY AND ME by John Grogan.
I couldn’t take to this book, although it is short and succinctly written. It tells the story of a very average journalist and his very average uncontrollable, badly behaved dog. I got tense just reading about it.

4/10 Half way decent

42. HEART SHAPED BOX by Joe Hill
On the back of this book Neil Gaimen showers it with praise. Because of his glowing review, I bought it. After reading it, I have not regretted my decision. Everything he says about it is true. It is a genuinely scary book, with realistic likeable characters, a fast paced page turning rhythm and enough creepy moments to keep you from sleeping. Be warned, this is not a book to read before bedtime.

9/10 A good piece of fiction.

43. THE GOOD GUY by Dean Koontz
Reading The Good Guy, I had the feeling that I had read it all before. Solid, all round decent man Tim gets unwittingly embroiled in the assassination attempt of an unknown woman (alla Velocity, The Husband), he goes on the run to save her (not unlike TickTock) and battles a hitman who just lives to kill (similar to the hitman clone in Mr Murder). Having said that, the book is well written, fast paced and the characters are likeable. Not Dean’s best work, but a lot better than Life Expectancy.

5/10 Readable

44. THE PRESTIGE by Christopher Priest
After reading Christopher Priest’s collection of short stories, The Dream Archipelago, I was hesitant to try another of his works. However, the film of The Prestige intrigued me, and I was interested to see how the source material differed from the movie. I am glad to report that the book is a very clever and enjoyable read. It is told from the view point of rival magicians, Alfred Borden and Rupert Angier, and two of their great grandchildren. Each of the voices is distinct and the story is built up well from the different view points. Knowing the story of the film did not diminish my enjoyment of the book in the least. Highly recommended.

8/10 I like it

45. A REBEL FROM RICHES by Bede Reynolds
The blurb of this book is excellent although, unfortunately the content does not live up to it. Kenyon Reynolds was born in the U.S of A in the 19th century to well off Episcopalian parents. He had a good education, was devoted to God, married his soul mate, made millions in the petrol business, retired in his thirties and toured the world and converted to Catholicism. He had a good life. After years of happy marriage, his wife died. After her death, he became a priest. His story is undoubtedly interesting, it is just he spends little time on his conversion and becoming a priest – which interested me most – and dwells mostly on the less interesting minutiae of his early life.

4/10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved Marley and ME! Inkpot obviously has no taste whatsoever. I won't read her book reviews anymore, unless she gives a book a bad score and then it is probably something I will like!