Thursday 14 June 2007

BOOK PLEDGE UPDATE - INKPOT

Here are the next five books from Inkpot:



36. MARRIED UNDER THE ITALIAN SUN by Lucy Gordon.
Mills and Boon is a multi million Euro industry with hundreds of books published each year and many women literally addicted to their literature. Recently the RTE guide ran a competition to find the next great romance writer and gave away this book free. In the interest of research, I read it. It had everything you could expect from a Mills and Boon romance – exotic location, hero and heroine hating each other before realising how much they loved each other, happy ending. After reading it, I realised I am not a romance writer and didn’t enter the competition. I just couldn’t write a story without a few zombies popping up somewhere or one of the protagonists getting killed. Because of this, I will not rate this book. I’m sure it is an excellent example of the genre, but it just isn’t my cup of tea.

37. THE SECRET by Rhonda Byrne
The secret is, whatever you think about you will get. So if you imagine yourself with wealth and status, and believe it is real, you will be the next Bill Gates. This doesn’t bode well for me, although I haven’t yet turned into a wolf or encountered any zombies in real life.

38. MR MURDER by Dean Koontz
Mr Koontz, I salute you. This is an excellent book with a spine chilling adversary and a very likeable family that you root for. It is fast paced, keeps your interest and is truly unputdownable. The end is a little disappointing, but he had painted himself into a corner and there was no other way he could realistically get out of it.

9/10 A good piece of fiction


39. THE BONE COLLECTOR by Jeffery Deaver
The movie of this book is one of my favourites, so I approached this book with some trepidation. Could it live up to my expectations? It did, and surpassed them. Excellently written, imaginative crime thriller with enough science to intrigue and enough humanity to keep you interested. It is quite different from the movie, which made it all the more interesting, and I could see Denzel and Angelina playing the different parts. I’m looking forward to reading the next Lincoln Rhyme in the series.

8/10 I like it


40. THE CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR by Jean M Auel
This book has taught me, among other things, that Neanderthals couldn’t cry, didn’t speak with words but used sign language instead and used an early form of the contraceptive pill. I wouldn’t have minded this fantasy so much if it hadn’t been passed off by the author as fact. Apparently this book was also made into a movie, staring Daryl Hannah. It is the first book in a hugely successful series, entitled Earth’s Children. I am going to pass on the sequels though.

1/10 Darren Shan-Tastic
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great to get the update Inky :)

Inkpot said...

I have another 5 book update, but I've a bit more reading to go before the end of the month (52/70)