Tuesday 19 June 2007

BOOK UPDATE: VALPOT'S 36 - 40

Here's the latest from Valpot on the book pledge (yes, readers, both pledgers are lagging seriously behind - it is almost half-way through the year, they should be well in the 60's, if not the 70's by now! Maybe they are though, and are just drip feeding us?)



36. MANGO: THE UNLUCKY MONKEY by MUNGO
What can I say about this absolutely fantastic book? It's absolutely fantastic! Like Mungo's brilliant first novel, the writing is beautiful, colourful and polished, the action is fast and exciting, the characters are charming and endearing, and the story is packed full of humour, heavily laced with thrilling adventure. Not to be missed!!!

Rating: Shines like the Lucky Diamond!

37. MERRY IN GOD
I don't think the author of this biography of Fr William Doyle actually gives his name, which is a pity for he has done an excellent job. One of the great things about this life of this Irish Jesuit who dies in the trenches in 1917 is that the author quotes hugely from the holy priest's own letters and diaries. One of the many remarkable things about this man - apart form his love of God and man, his indefatigable work for salvation, his personal self-sacrifice and self-discipline and holiness - is that he was gifted with excellent writing ability and managed to find time to describe in detail what he saw. This is particularly moving during his time at the front. Reading this book will give you a great insight into the Fr Doyle - holy, humorous, courageous, totally unselfish and self-sacrificing - and a great liking for him. You are only left to wonder - why has he not been canonised?
Rating: 10/10 (Highly recommended)




38. Night without end by Alastair McLean
I read (and re-read) loads by this author when I was in school, and have to say I think he writes very well. I haven't read him for a while, though I must have read this story dozens of times. It still is very enjoyable, despite the hero getting absolutely everything wrong!

Rating: Good piece of fiction

39. Fear is the key by Alastair McLean
When I read this first (in school also) I thought it was brilliant, the plot so clever. This time it didn't work so well for me, and it was a bit grimmer (understandably in the context of the story). Still good, though but no longer one of my favourites.
Rating: I like it

40. the Dark Crusader by Alastair McLean
Classic McLean. Good story, action and character from the start. One of my favourites
Rating: Good piece of fiction

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please can borrow merry in God from you

Inkpot said...

Can I be put on the list for Merry in God as well, it sounds brill. Thanks

Valpot said...

Yes, it's really good - I really enjoyed it!