Friday 26 October 2007

LATEST ON BOOK PLEDGE FROM INKPOT

Here are Inkpot's 66-70 reads:


66. THE FOG by James Herbert
Apart from the name and the fact that this was written in the 1970’s, this book has nothing in common with the similarly titled John Carpenter horror movie. An earth quake in a sleepy town in the south east of England releases a strange microbiological parasitic fog that wanders towards London, sending everyone it comes in contact with into a murderous rage (not unlike the Rage in 28 days later). It is up to one man, who is immune, to destroy it and save England. An interesting, and perhaps original (for the time) idea, I found it disappointing.

– 4/10 Half way decent


67. THE FIVE MUSES by Various
This anthology is a collection of fantasy short stories written by a collection of authors. The stories feature (among other things) dragons, druids and a dog’s perfect day out. I would love to discuss each story in detail, but this is not the right forum. All I can say is, READ IT! IT IS BRILLIANT!

– 10/10 Shines like the Lucky Diamond.


68. LOTTIE THE HALF VAMPIRE by Valinora Troy

Lottie has always been different. Sunlight hurts her skin, garlic makes her sick and her lack of energy has been a concern for her family all her life. Now a mysterious and frightening man has turned up, telling her things that she finds hard to believe. Could it be true that her pale appearance and new found abilities are because she has vampire blood in her veins? This exciting story is the first in the Lottie series. I can’t wait to read the next instalment.

- 10/10 Shines like the Lucky Diamond


69. THE REVENGE OF QUEEN ROSE by Valinora Troy

It has only been a matter of days since Queen Rose was banished from Ferga, and the five children are enjoying the return of their uncle while Lucky, the diamond, makes plans for her wedding to Charlie. However, they are not allowed rest on their laurels for long. A new enemy imprisons the diamonds, kidnaps Susan and Vicky and sends Ferga and her surrounding countries into turmoil. What results is an amazing, exciting, scary, funny, magical adventure that spans three countries and ten characters. I laughed, I cried, I loved it. I might even go as far as to say it outshines its predecessor, the Lucky Diamond. I can’t wait for the next book in the series!

– 10/10 Shines like the Lucky Diamond


70 - 72. The Twilight Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
This is the third instalment in the ‘Watch’ trilogy (nothing to do with time pieces) following on from Night Watch and Day Watch. I was very disappointed in Day Watch, so I wasn’t expecting much from this book, therefore I was pleasantly surprised. I would rank it as my favourite of the three, with an interesting story and more character development of Anton and the other Others.

– 7/10 Not Bad

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, some of those books sound amazing, The Five Muses, Lottie the Half Vampire and Queen Rose's Revenge. I'd love to read them.

Anonymous said...

I have never seen 3 10/10's before. must look out for those books

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever seen a 10 before, they must be good books.

Anonymous said...

Looks like Inkpot had a great time reading recently - keep picking the good ones, Inkpot!

Anonymous said...

i wish anonymous would reveal themselves