Thursday 29 March 2007

BOOK UPDATE - INKPOT

16. FIRESONG by William Nicholson
The third instalment of the Wind of Fire Trilogy. I liked the developments in this book and he wrapped up the tale very neatly, however I didn’t enjoy it as much as Slaves of the Mastery. – 7/10 Not Bad

17. DEATH DU JOUR by Kathy Reichs
Why did I read this book? I don’t really know. It must be hard to be Dr Temperance Brennan, heroine of this book. Everywhere she goes skeletons leap out at her and people try to kill her. – 3/10 Almost Darren Shan

18. THE TIME TRAVELERS WIFE by Audrey Niffenegger
Ms Niffenegger’s debut novel, The Time Traveler’s Wife intrigued me because of the time travel, not the wife. However, it turns out the book is more about the latter than the former. The book is told through the point of view of Henry, a man who has a medical condition that makes him travel randomly through time and space, and Clare, Henry’s wife, who has loved him since he first appeared to her when she was six. The subject matter is very skilfully woven and the lives of these two people are written with depth and understanding. It is a compelling read, however I don’t particularly like any of the characters in the book, so not one that I would recommend.
7/10 Not Bad

19. DAYWATCH by Sergei Lukyanenko
I very much enjoyed NightWatch, the first in the trilogy of books about the forces of Light and Dark that make up the Moscow division of the two watches, but I was very disappointed in this offering. The Dark Others come across as selfish and the Light Others come across as fools and, apart from that, there is very little difference between them. The insight into the Russian way of thinking was interesting, but otherwise the book wasn’t great.
6/10 The Curate’s Egg

20. LUCINDA’S SECRET (THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES 3)
by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black
Another chapter in this very dull, but very short series of books. I only read this to boost my book count. It took less than 30 minutes to read and I borrowed it from the library, so I can’t really lose, can I?
1/10 Darren Shan-tastic

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the books sound good, but you are way behind in your targets