Tuesday 27 March 2007

BOOK UPDATE - VALPOT

The Fight to Write Conference has prevented the update of the normal activities of this blog - namely objectives, targets and book updates. So as a break from all the photos, let's get up to date with Inkpot and Valpot's readings.

We'll start with Valpot today - haven't heard from her for a while.


Book 16: 7 Little Australians
Brought me back to my childhood as we were all glued to the tv serialisation. I enjoyed it, though it's quited dated, similar in some ways to L.M. Alcott (though lighter in tone), quite sweet and very sad.
Rating: Readable

Book 17: Pistols for Two
Lazing in bed one Sunday morning I picked up this collection of Georgette Heyer short stories, and enjoyed them - rather like a taster for her complete works, though not quite as satisfactory.
Rating: Not Bad

Book 18: Artemis Fowl & the Lost Colony
Like the others, enjoyable. And like the others.
Rating: Not Bad

Book 19: Allies of the night
I read this Darren Shan is the spirit of market research - why is he so successful? The librarian recommended - she liked a children's book that was literature! Badly written and incredibly dull.
Rating: Darren Shan-tastic

Book 20: Dracula
The original and still best. I didn't enjoy quite as much as the last time - I found Mina Harker quite painful, the men's adulation of her annoying, and some of the prose a little repetitive (maybe I felt the same last time?). Still a very enjoyable read & highly recommended.
Rating: I like it

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you gave Dracula an 8, and I'm glad to see Darren Shan didn't disappoint and continues to be Darren Shan-tastic

Valpot said...

Yes, I just didn't enjoy Dracula as much as before - maybe I had raised my expectations too much?

Anonymous said...

Weird. I must re-read Dracula and see what I think