Friday 26 January 2007

Interview with DNOTY 2006

A Conversation with Mungo

By Bee Gears


Mungo reads from his fantastic novel Leaf


It was a rainy day in Blackrock, Co. Louth when I visited Mungo, current DN of the Year, to talk to him about his writing career, winning the DNOTY and all things Mungo.

It took me a while to find the entrance to his palatial home, just off the sea front, surrounded by verdant gardens and a high stone wall. I drove up the long curving avenue and squeezed my battered VW into a space behind a phalanx of French cars.

Approaching the front door, I was greeted by a volley of vicious barking from the guard dogs (three intimidating hounds – a german shepherd, a poinsettia and a collie). Thankfully, they were enclosed behind glass and couldn’t get at me to rip me to shreds. I could understand the need for them, as I am sure Mungo’s fame must draw a lot of unwanted callers to his door. Not being in that category, I didn’t have to wait long for the door to be opened by a burly rabbit, who ushered me inside. There I met Mango, Mungo’s campaign manager. She informed me that Mungo was very busy and could only spare a little time to talk to me, as she led me to the inner sanctum where Mungo sat upon the shining silver Nodpot cup, dressed in his DNOTY t-shirt.

Bee: Oh Mungo, thank you so much for seeing me, it is an honour. I know what a busy schedule you have.

Mungo: Hello.

B: You look wonderful as always, I must say. How do you manage to look so wonderful and white all the time?

M: Clean living (laughs)

B: You look very dashing sitting on top of the Nodpot Cup. Tell me, was it a surprise that you won?

M: (looking bashful) Not at all Bee. Last year I was upset that, despite all my contributions to the Nodpots, I was not even nominated for DNOTY.

B: You mean 2005, don’t you, Mungo? You won last year.

M: (frowning) Oh yes, yes of course. Anyway, I was told that I would have to write to be eligible for nomination the next year (which was 2006) and I said I would write a book – because writing is easy, after all – and win DNOTY 2006. And I did.

B: I have often heard you quoted as saying that writing is easy, but for many people – even professional reporters like me – writing is a daunting task. Tell me Mungo, what is your secret?

M: Well Bee, I don’t know why you find writing so difficult, or anyone for that matter. You think up an idea, you think about it for a little while, and then you sit down and spend so many hours a day writing it. I think a lot of people think writing is hard and then, when they should be writing, they are surfing the internet or watching TV. But really, writing is very easy.

B: That is wonderful advice, Mungo, thank you for sharing that with me.

M: You’re welcome.

B: However, even with that, Leaf is a wonderful book. Few people would be able to write such an original, absorbing, amusing story. Where did you come up for the idea of a story like that? Was there an external influence or is it simply your natural genius?

M: (smiles) I suppose my natural brilliance did have something to do with it, but I believe you should write what you know. Most modern literature has little interest for me because it is so human centred. I decided to write something I would like to read, something about monkeys. I also wanted to write an adventure story that would be humorous. I can’t bear boring depressing rubbish.

B: It must have been hard making the transition from being a judge to being a writer.

M: Not at all, not at all. I’ve been retired for some years now, and Leaf actually came about because I used to tell stories about the Animal Kingdom to my good friend, Miss Monkey. She loved the tales so much that she encouraged me to write it down, and that’s what I did.

B: Yes, you dedicated Leaf to Miss Monkey, didn’t you?

M: That’s right.

B: Is there any truth in the rumours that Leaf and Rainbow are based on you and Miss Monkey?

M: (laughs) None at all. People like to see themselves in my work, I suppose, because they aspire to be like my characters but no, Leaf and Rainbow are not me and Miss Monkey. Leaf isn’t as handsome and talented as I am, for one thing.

B: To get back to winning DNOTY 2006. I know you had a strong campaign going, with Mango as your manager and publicity on your blog and the streets of Dublin. Even with all this, were you afraid that you wouldn’t win?

M: Not at all. You see, this year I knew the votes would be counted properly because they got in an objective non-Nodpot to count them. Other years they have been counted by Valerie, and I know the vote has been skewed by her so that Iseult would win.

B: They are very serious allegations, Mungo.

M: I’m not alleging anything; I’m just saying that I knew the right Nodpot would win this year.

B: I see. Still, at the moment before the winner was revealed, did you feel a thrill of fear that you might not have won?

M: Not at all. I never feel fear.

B: What was it like when you found out you won?

M: I knew that justice had been served.

B: And what are your plans for this year? Do you want to win the Nodpot cup again?

M: I’m not really bothered about retaining my title, now that I have achieved what I set out to achieve, however I am sure that I will win again in 2007 as I am the best Nodpot and my work this year will prove that. I don’t intend to become a slave to writing, because it is only an enjoyable pastime to me, but I am going to write three books this year. I have Mango the Unlucky Monkey coming out in March and then the third book in the Kingdom of Animals series, Rainbow and the Mountain of Life, which should be due out in the autumn and the first in a new series, Tottie the Demon Rabbit Slayer, should be out in time for Christmas.

B: That sounds very ambitious Mungo.

M: Not at all.

B: What about Leaf, are you still seeking for an agent?

M: I will be submitting Leaf to agencies again this year, yes.

B: That’s good. Is it true you will be touring with the Nodpot Cup this year?

M: I have to keep the fans happy, you know. I will be going to Dublin for a while, to thank the people of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown for voting for me, and I have been asked to travel over seas as well, but I have yet to make up my mind on that offer.

The door opened and Mango entered. She gestured for me to leave.

B: I can see my time is up. Thank you for your time, Mungo. It was an honour to meet you and I look forward to reading your new books this year.

M: Thank you.

Mungo & the cup posing with me

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is nice to read more about Mungo. Keep up the articles, profiles and interviews of the DNOTY 06

Valpot said...

I have to take exception to some things Mungo has said here.

In 2004, the casting vote for DNOTY was by Marvin, as Chairtoy (and frankly there was no competition).

In 2005, it was strictly by vote, and Michele (not only a solicitor but with prior experience as an election observer) acted as independant observer.

There is absolutely no question of any fixing of the vote at anytime.