Wednesday 11 April 2007

Book Update - INKPOT!!!!!!!

Some time ago, Inkpot contributed her reviews of books 21- 25, as follows:


21. DEAN KOONTZ’S FRANKENTSTEIN PRODIGAL SON by Dean Koontz and Kevin J Anderson
This book has a complicated history. Originally planned as a TV series, Koontz withdrew involvement after the bigwigs making the series altered it so completely he no longer recognised it (I saw the TV movie that was ultimately made and it was so bad I fell asleep). Not wanted to lose the story, Koontz has already written two books of a planned three, each co-authored with a different writer. Despite a lot of things going against it, this is an exciting read.
7/10 Not Bad


22. RESIDENT EVIL UNDERWORLD by S.D Perry
Two things drew me to this book – 1. It was short and 2. (more importantly) I expected lots of zombies. However, by the fourth instalment of this computer game inspired franchise, they had run out of zombies and I had to make do with much less interesting fare. Dry as ten day old bread.
1/10 Darren Shan-tastic

23. DEAN KOONTZ’S FRANKENSTEIN CITY OF NIGHT by Dean Koontz and Ed Gorman
This is the second book in Dean Koontz’s Frankenstein. I don’t think Dean writes a lot in these books, leaving the bulk to his co-author. I don’t think Ed is as good a fit with Dean’s style as Kevin was, leaving a much jumpier, less exciting and satisfying book. However, I still really enjoyed it and I am eagerly waiting for the third instalment due out at the end of May.
7/10 Not Bad

24. DOCTOR WHO THE FACE OF EVIL AND THE SUN MAKERS
I was very disappointed initially by this book. When I picked it up in the library, I falsely assumed that it was an original novel of the series. Instead, it is the novelisation of two episodes from the Tom Baker era. The writing is very sparse and nothing is elaborated on from what you would see on screen, but it made me long to see the episodes and reminded me how great Dr Who really is. Despite the rather spare writing, the good writing for the episodes shines through. 6/10 Curates Egg (Good in Spots)

25. I AM LEGEND by Richard Matheson
When I recently organised my book shelves I noticed my copy of this classic was missing, an omission I rectified when I next went to the bookshop. This brilliant mixture of horror and science fiction has already been made into two dismal movies and is about to be made into a third, starring Will Smith. I don’t think it will fare any better than its predecessors, as the fact of the matter is; the story works best as a novel. Nothing much happens in Neville’s (the hero) life as he struggles to remain alive in a world turned completely into vampires. Nothing that fits into the pattern for an action movie, anyway. Despite that, it is one of my favourite books and still chills me so much when reading it that I don’t want to read it before bed time.
10/10 Shines like the Lucky Diamond

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see the noddies are still reading