Tuesday 17 July 2007

INKPOT'S BOOK PLEDGE 46 to 50

Here are Inkpot's reviews on books she read recently:


46. WHAT DREAMS MAY COME by Richard Matheson.
This is the third of Matheson’s books that I have read. It tells the story of a man who dies and discovers there is an afterlife, but cannot entirely enjoy it without his wife. It is about love and life after death. It is well written and interesting, but I found the main character irritating.
5/10 Readable

47. THE COFFIN DANCER by Jeffrey Deaver
This is the second Lincoln Rhyme book by Jeffrey Deaver. There was some novelty in reading it as, unlike The Bone Collector, I hadn’t a clue what it was about. I generally don’t like straight forward thrillers, but Deaver’s blend of science, good characters, horror and fast paced action kept me hooked from the start. Definitely one I would recommend.
8/10 I like it.

48. WHO CENSORED ROGER RABBIT? by Gary Wolf
When the movie, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, came out in 1988 I loved it so much I saw it twice in the cinema. I have seen it loads more times since then, and it has remained a firm favourite. I even have a Roger Rabbit duvet cover. When I learned that it was based on a book, I was dying to read it. What a mistake. The book has toons, Roger, Eddie Valiant, Baby Herman and Jessica Rabbit, but that is where the similarities end. Toons are just the same as people, they grow old and die. Jessica is sleazy and Roger isn’t particularly lovable – and he gets killed. The book tries hard to be a hardboiled thriller but doesn’t quite make it. I find it hard to understand how this book got published, let alone turned into such a fantastic film.
2/10 Darren Shan wannabe


49. STIR OF ECHOES by Richard Matheson
I caught the movie of this book a few years ago on late night TV. It was enjoyable, if not memorable. When I started reading the book, I thought I knew the story, but it soon became apparent that they had changed the movie somewhat from the book, with quite obvious reason. The book is about Tom Wallace who, after being hypnotised, discovers latent paranormal abilities. Now, in the movie this is only a start, but most of the book is taken up by how this impacts Tom’s life. The book is a thoughtful and interesting look into what impact developing physic powers would have on your family life. While it didn’t reach the heights of I am Legend or The Shrinking Man, it was an enjoyable read.
7/10 Not Bad

50. SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES by Ray Bradbury
Best friends Jim Nightshade and Will Halloway are like night and day, but they both get more than they bargained for when a mysterious carnival comes to town. Can they avoid the freaks and learn important lessons about themselves and life at the same time? Ray Bradbury is something of a guru in science fiction and fantasy. His writing is deeply layered and often poetic. I found this book interesting but it lost me when it got too caught up in philosophical arguments. 7/10 Not Bad.

No comments: