Monday 21 May 2007

BOOK UPDATE - VALPOT'S 31 - 35

Latest recommendations (or not!) from Valpot:



31: City of Night

Book 2 in Dean Koontz Frankenstein trilogy. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first one, but it still is an exciting read, and I'm looking forward to reading the third one when it is published.

Rating: Not bad



32. The Poison Belt by A. Conan Doyle
From the author of Sherlock Holmes.. (hee, hee, I know you know that!). Part of The Lost World and Other Tales collection, all featuring Ed Malone, Professor Challenger and friends. Well written, as you'd expect, but quite an insubstantial story with an end that I considered a cheat really - but I won't ruin it, in case anyone reads it...

Rating: Good in Spots (good writing and thin plot combination!)



33. The Chingles from the East
Patricia Murphy's original prize winner. While there is plenty of magic and mythology in this story, and it's not badly written or anything, it's not really my style of story. I hadn't realised before that it was meant to be the first of a trilogy. Interestingly, I saw the third one has finally come out - and it's called something like The Chingles meet the Vampires. The kids go to the island off the West Coast as usual, but end up in Eastern Europe (where we all know the vampires come from) and have to battle with their mythological gods (or something like that).

Rating: Half way decent

34. Raven's Gate by Anthony Horrowitz
By the author of the Diamond brothers humorous detective stories, this is the first of a trilogy, and aimed at an older reader than the detective books. This is a fantasy story set in England - the author says in his forward that he wanted this alternative to traditional fantasy such as Narnia or The Shire. Unfortunately, this limits the development of his world, which makes the book a little less satisfying. It's well written, and the hero is stuck in a village from which he really can't escape from, and there seems to be nobody that he can trust (I like this as a story line) but the whole Raven's Gate thing didn't really work very well. It might well come into its own in the sequels. This book was recommended by a nine year old as his favourite book!
Rating: Readable

35. Williestop by Iserie Valult
The first co-authored story from these two fabulous writers. It's fast and exciting, with a whole plethora of characters that you care for, and a sci-fi world that convinces (me anyway!). It's also the first - and arguably best - Biff book to date. The end perhaps was a little rushed, but it's a long and very satisfying tale. I loved it!
Rating: Shines like the Lucky Diamond!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is good the noddies still are reading. Sounds like Patricia Murphy (any relation?) is trying to ape the fantastic shantastic. Her latest cover even looks like one of Mega Shan's books. Also, have you considered the reason you find so many children's books unsatisfying is because you are no longer a child? I mean, there must be some reason you don't appreciate the literary genuis that is Mr Darren Shan (my hero)

Valpot said...

Hi Stephan, I read your comments with interest. However, I feel that a good children's book can be enjoyed as much as an adult as a child - I could list many children's books that I either enjoyed both as child and adult, and others I have really enjoyed as an adult.

I'm sure you will find the same when you grow up (though you have a very mature way of expression at the moment, are you sure your age is depicted correctly?)