Monday 10 September 2007

Valpot Book Pledge 56-60

Here are Valpot reviews of her books 56-60 (Note both pledgers should have reached book 100 by end of August to be up-to-date with their pledge).

56. The Bone Collector
I love the film and enjoyed the book. It was difficult not to see Denzel and Angelina as the main characters, and personally I think the film's take on the suicide was much better than the book. The whole forensic stuff was interesting to read and the denouement was different from the film. I understand - and agree with - the changes the film made in general, but still enjoyed the book.
Rating: I like it

57. The Empty Chair
Also by Jeffrey Deaver (author of The Bone Collector), I enjoyed this book even more. Lots of good character development, an unusual situation, and lots of twists.
Rating: I like it

58. Stir of Echoes
I have read The Shrinking Man and Legend, and thought both books were brilliantly written and very imaginative. In contrast, Stir of echoes seems very tame, the plot is quite light, and it has none of the impact of the other novels of his that I've read. Still, it's well written, though you would like it developed a lot more.
Rating: Not Bad

59. St Gerard Majella
I picked up a biography of this great saint a while ago. Unfortunately the style of the book is very old-fashioned, which makes it difficult to read. I ended up leaving it aside, only to finish it a couple of months later.
Rating: Amazing saint but I'm sure there's a better biography out there.

60. Blessed Miguel Pro
A short biography of this holy man but a brilliant one! He actually reminds me of Fr William Doyle (Merry in God) because he seemed to unite a sense of fun and humour with courage and heroic sanctity. If, as is rumoured, they make a film of Mexico in the 1920's and featuring this saintly priest, I will queue up to see it!
Rating: An inspiring read

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A movie of Bl Miguel Pro's life would be sweet.

Bee Gears said...

I wish Valpot would give the names of the authors of the books she is reviewing. It is a shame not to credit them.

DN Reporter said...

I'll chase her up on that, Bee!