Wednesday 19 December 2007

UPDATES ON BOOK PLEDGE - INKPOT

Here are recent reports from Inkpot (actually sent from NZ!):


73. If Chins Could Kill by Bruce Campbell
I can't say I've actively followed Bruce's career, but I have always been happy to see him in the numerous movies and tv shows he has been in. I found his autobiography a fascinating insight into his career, how a group of guys from Detroit managed to break into the movie business as well as very humorous and Bruce came across as a really likeable, decent guy.

I like it. 8/10

74. The Wheel of Darkness by Lincoln Preston
A return to form for these pair, and about time too. This book concentrates on Special Agent Pendergast and his ward Constance Green and involves a stand alone adventure. They don't shirk from the preternatural in this tale, I am glad to say, and I found it a gripping read. My only gripe with his book would be that no mention is given of the demise of Vile Viola and the survival or Margo Green. It feels as if they made a conscious effort not to mention the back story of these characters.

Not bad. 7/10

75. The Last Vampire by Christopher Pike
I think these series of books are hot property - or so the ads on the radio tell me. I knew what to expect before I cracked the spine - first person, a little bit of Darren Shan, beat 'em up heroine ala Buffy and lots of praise for the heroine like Anita Blake. I am not a fan of these kind of books - Lottie the half vampire being an exception and I have high hopes for Tottie the Demon Rabbit Slayer - but this book stands slightly above the Shanmeister and Blakinator, mainly because of the interesting back story of the eponymous heroine.

The Curates egg. 6/10

76. Black Blood by Christopher Pike
The second in this series of vampire books. The Indian mysticism element to the back story is original but its interest quickly pales and I found this rehash of the first book soon lost my attention.

Readable. 5/10

77. Know your New Zealand Birds by Murdoch Riley
This handy illustrated pocket book lists 66 of the rarest and most common native and introduced New Zealand birds. I've seen 48 of them.

I like it. 8/10

1 comment:

Inkpot said...

Thanks DN for including the twilight watch trilogy. I also read the day watch trilogy this year, and a Dr Who book which was two books in one. So this book count is (in adjusted figures) 76 - 80. Thanks DN :)